The golden oyster mushroom is an edible mushroom, which can be cultivated commercially on a medium of grain, straw or sawdust.
Golden oyster mushroom
Basic information and facts
The Golden oyster mushroom originates from eastern Russia, northern China and Japan.
Widely cultivated but very popular in China.
Like other oyster mushrooms, the Golden oyster is a wood-decay fungus. It is a gilled fungus. The fruiting bodies grow in clusters of golden, golden brown or bright yellow caps wit a diameter of 2 to 6 centimeters. Caps have a dry velvety surface.
The mushrooms can be cultivated on a medium of grain, straw or sawdust. In the wild, spores are spread by a beetle.
Handpicking the mushrooms.
fresh mushrooms contain 30% protein. They are cooked in a variety of dishes, often grilled, steamed or pan-fried, or in stews or omelets.
Proverbs and Quotes
- He has sprung up like a mushroom. (Latin proverb)
- Watch out for the unexpected mushroom. (Sicilian Proverb)
- Without stooping down for the mushroom, you cannot put it in your basket. (Russian proverb)
- It’s better to eat a mushroom in freedom than to eat meat in slavery. (African proverb)
- A lucky man can stumble upon a treasure while an unlucky one can’t even find a mushroom. (Russian proverb)
Did you know that?
- Golden oyster mushrooms are a good source of antioxidants.