The Indian oyster is an edible mushroom species. It belongs to the genus Pleurotus, and is the most cultivated oyster mushroom species in Europe and North America.
Basic information and facts
The Indian oyster is found worldwide in temperate and subtropical forests.
It is a wood-decay mushroom, found on hardwoods and on conifers. It is similar to the Oyster mushroom (P.ostreatus) but it has paler and smaller caps.
Proverbs and Quotes
- Without stooping down for the mushroom, you cannot put it in your basket. (Russian proverb)
- It’s better to eat a mushroom in freedom than to eat meat in slavery. (African proverb)
- He has sprung up like a mushroom. (Latin proverb)
- A lucky man can stumble upon a treasure while an unlucky one can’t even find a mushroom. (Russian proverb)
- Watch out for the unexpected mushroom. (Sicilian Proverb)