Peaches are known for their soft velvety skin and their sweet aromatic and juicy flesh. Nectarines are a type of peach, but with a smooth skin. Some people think that nectarines are a cross between peach and plum, but this is not true.
Basic information and facts
Evergreen or deciduous:
The fruit has yellow or whitish flesh with a very delicate aroma and one large seed in the center. The skin of the fruit has a velvety surface.
Nectarines have a smooth skin but belong to the same species.
Pollination is by insects such as the honey bee.
Peach trees are 4 to 10 meter tall.
To maintain a good quality the cultivars are usually budded or grafted. Growing trees from seed gives unpredictable results.
Leaf curl disease. Fruits are sensitive to brown rot.
Mostly eaten fresh as a snack or dessert. Also sold in cans or as juice.
Proverbs and Quotes
- Everything is not all peaches and cream.
- Peel a fig for your friend, a peach for your enemy.
- Prickly pear trees don't produce peaches.
- Receive a plum, return a peach.
Did you know that?
- The scientific name Prunus persica refers to the fact that the peach was cultivated on a large scale in Persia.