Sour cherry grows mainly in Europe and south-west Asia. As you can expect from the name, sour cherries have fruits that are quite acidic.
Sour cherries come in two varieties: the morello cherry (dark red color) and the amarelle cherry (lighter red color). The sour cherry is usually used in cooking, for example in soups and pork dishes, cakes, tarts, and pies. Sour cherries can be used to make jam or sauces, which can be used with ice cream. Sour cherries are also used in liqueurs and other drinks. Most people think that sour cherries are too sour to be eaten fresh.
See also sweet cherry.
Cerezo de Morello
Basic information and facts
Sour cherries are native to part of Europe and south-west Asia.
Highest production of sour cherries is in Turkey, Poland, Russia, USA, Iran and Serbia
Evergreen or deciduous:
White flowers, often 2 or 4 together.
Round red fruits with a diamter of 15 to 20 mm.
Climate and weather:
Sour cherries grow in temperate climates in Europe and south-west Asia.
Sour cherries are self-pollinating. When many bees are present this will improve fruiting.
Sour cherry trees can be 4 to 10 meter high, usually about 6 meter.
Sour cherry blooms in spring and produces fruits in summer.
Type of soil:
Sour cherries prefer a rich, well-drained but moist soil. They don’t like waterlogging.
Spacing (close range)
Spacing (wide range)
Sour cherry is usually propagated by budding onto strong rootstocks.
Sour cherries have not many insect problems, but are often damaged by birds.
Sour cherries have to be hand-picked when they are ripe.
Unlike sweet cherries, sour cherries are too sour to be eaten fresh (although some people like them). The sour cherriy is often used in cooking, for example in soups and pork dishes, cakes, tarts, and pies. Sour cherries make an excellent jam and can be made into sauces to use on ice cream. Sour cherries are also often used in liqueurs and other drinks.
Proverbs and Quotes
These proverbs are about any cherries, not really about the sour ones.
- A cherry year, a merry year; a plum year, a dumb year.
- A dead cherry tree will not blossom.
- A woman and a cherry are painted for their own harm.
- Break open a cherry tree and there are no flowers, but the spring
breeze brings forth myriad blossoms.
- Don’t expect a cherry tree from an acorn.
- He who eats cherries with gentlemen risks getting the pips in
- He who likes cherries soon learns to climb.
- In the cherry blossom’s shade, there’s no such thing as a stranger.
- Life is just a bowl of cherries.
- Money buys cherries.
- Neither give cherries to pigs nor advice to fools.
- One must ask children and birds how cherries and strawberries
- The cherry blossom among flowers, the warrior among men.
- The olive grove of your grandfather, the cherry trees of your
father, and your grape vines.
- Without wine, even beautiful cherry blossoms have small attraction.
- Ye have a ready mouth for a ripe cherry.
- You need plant only one cherry and one plum tree.
- If you were looking at where you would like your career to go,
then you would have to cherry pick The Stones. People love coming
to see them. They are it, they are the most definitive rock n roll
band ever. (Andy Taylor)
- About the woodlands I will go, to see the cherry hung with snow.
- If life is a bowl of cherries, then what am I doing in the pits?
- The man for me is the cherry on the pie. But I’m the pie and
my pie is good all by itself. Even if I don’t have a cherry. (Halle
- I want to do to you what spring does with the cherry trees.